What’s a party without a sausage!? These toffee sausages are a little bit more fancy than you’d get in a normal hotdog; savoury and sweet, delicious when combined with the tomato apple sauce. Quick to make and easy to share. You could even do them on a bbq or make vegetarian versions.
Toffee Sausages with Tomato and Apple Sauce
8 pork sausages
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp whole grain mustard
1 tsp tomato purée
8 slices of sliced white bread
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can chopped tomatoes
Splash of water
1 large granny smith apple
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Mix golden syrup, balsamic, mustard and tomato purée to make the toffee glaze. Brush over the sausages and cook in oven for 20 minutes, or until done. You can continue to baste the sausages every 5 minutes for a thicker glaze.
2. Slice the onions thin. Cook in oil on medium to low heat for 20 minutes or until sticky and caramelised. Remove half the onions and set aside for garnish. Add canned tomatoes and salt to the onions, bring to boil, then simmer 5 minutes.
3. Grate the apple and add to the sauce. Simmer a further 15 minutes covered, checking to add a little water if it becomes too dry. When ready blend sauce until smooth.
4. Cut crust off each piece bread. Place in oven at 150C for 1-2 minutes so its firmer and slightly toasted.
5. To serve: Place a sausage on bread slice diagonally, top with tomato sauce and caramelised onion, fold edges together and eat!