Indulge in some Spanish home-cooking with this comforting Chorizo and Lentil Stew. A Spanish favourite with a twist, here is a fast version that still gives a rich flavour as if cooked for hours on end.
The key to making this recipe is having quality lentils and chorizo, the main ingredients which will really bring the stew together. Forget soaking and boiling lentils down for hours on end, this is one of those recipes you can rely on to whip together in roughly 30 minutes, making it a good weeknight or lazy weekend dish.
Using good quality jarred lentils, such as a trusted Spanish brand like AS jarred lentils from EATAPAS will ensure your dish tastes truly authentic. As they are already cooked and ready to be used it’s as simple as adding them in at the end of cooking and warming through.
Although not a traditionally Spanish addition, adding a dollop of creme fraiche finishes the dish off nicely, with plenty of Pimenton De La Vera smoked sweet paprika on top.
Chorizo and Lentil Stew
1 Spanish onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 stick celery, sliced thin
1 medium carrot, cut into small cubes
1 medium potato, cut into small cubes
1 red chilli
1 tsp Pimenton De La Vera Sweet Smoked Paprika
150gm Chorizo sliced thin (Riojano Luis Gil from www.eatapas.co.uk)
1 jar AS cooked Lentils, drained (from www.eatapas.co.uk)
150gm baby romana or cherry tomatoes
2 bay leaves
500ml hot chicken stock
large handful parsley, roughly cupped
Good Squeeze of lemon
Creme Fraiche to serve
Cracked black pepper
Pimenton De La Vera Sweet Smoked Paprika for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Fry chorizo slices gently for a few minutes until they have colour. Be careful not to burn. Remove from pan and use half the chorizo oil to cook vegetables.
- Fry onion in chorizo oil until soft. Add celery and carrot, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, garlic, chilli and bay leaves to the pan, cook a further 5 minutes, stirring to make sure mixture doesn’t stick.
- Cover tomatoes in a little olive oil and some salt. Roast in oven for approx. 12 minutes or until collapsed and charred with colour.
- Add hot stock to the pan, bringing to the boil then reducing heat to simmer. Cook for approx. 10 minutes until liquid has thickened slightly.
- Return chorizo to the stew along with a squeeze of lemon, drained lentils and some cracked black pepper.
- Cook a further 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Divide chorizo and lentil stew between bowls, top with roasted tomatoes. Dollop with creme fraiche and sprinkle with smoked sweet paprika.
*All ingredients available to purchase online at EATAPAS