Some evenings you just want to eat a tasty meal without the fuss of long preparation and cooking, and worst of all, dishes. That’s why one pan / one pot cooking is one of my favourite ways to create a meal, its easy and hardly makes a mess. This recipe was inspired by my trusty Chasseur griddle pan ( you can pick one up here from Viking-direct.co.uk ) – A Mexican fajitas with charred chicken and peppers – quick cooking that heats ingredients evenly and maintains plenty of flavour.
The best thing about Mexican food is the mix of cooked and fresh ingredients. Lots of fresh salad, lime juice, avocado, coriander and sour cream – flavours that go well with charred vegetables and marinated meat. The best thing about cooking in a griddle pan is the small amount of oil needed. I rubbed my peppers with a little oil very lightly before charring, and the end result was juicy fresh tasting green peppers bursting with flavour, minus the coating of grease.
Chicken turns out equally as tender and full of flavour, charring the marinade into the flesh. You should always heat your griddle pan slowly from low to high to avoid warping and ensure even heating. This will cook your meat at the same temperature throughout, keeping it tender and juicy.
If you prefer to cook along to visuals please watch my video below which takes you through the Mexican Tinga Chicken Wrap recipe step by step. Just pause while you cook to complete each step:
Mexican Tinga Chicken Fajitas with Mojo Sauce
400gm Chicken Breast, cut into long bite size pieces
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp chipotle sauce (optional)
1 garlic clove crushed
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp cornflour
Splash boiling water
30ml white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove crushed
1/2 tsp cumin
2 large handfuls coriander, chopped
150ml olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
Pinch brown sugar
2 Green Peppers, sliced into strips
1 red onion, sliced into strips
2 tomatoes cut into small chunks,
1/2 iceberg lettuce, shredded
4 Tortilla Wraps
1. Mix ingredients for the chicken marinade together. Coat chicken well and set aside to marinate while you prepare other ingredients.
2. Heat griddle pan from low to medium heat. Rub your sliced onion and peppers lightly in a little oil. Place in the griddle pan and cover with foil for 2 – 3 minutes. Remove foil, turn over onion and peppers and cooked until nicely charred.
3. Make Mojo Sauce. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend approx. 2/3 with a blender or hand blender. Leave 1/3 leaves unblended for texture.
4. Place shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, charred peppers and onions in a serving bowl.
5. Remove onions and peppers from griddle pan, brush a little olive oil into the pan and cook chicken on both sides until charred but still tender.
6. Wipe down griddle and lightly toast tortillas on each side.
7. Set the table with bowl of charred peppers, onion, tomato, lettuce, tinga chicken, tortilla, mojo sauce and sour cream. Build your wrap and eat!