Pistachio and Cranberry Frozen Yoghurt. If your not a fan of overly sweet things then this recipe is just right. Frozen yoghurt makes a delicious treat anytime – its healthy, fat-free and guilt free. This recipe contains no sugar or artificial flavours but tastes as divine as any other dessert. Best made and eaten that day, it will also last in the fridge for a week before becoming icy.
The preparation involves initially freezing yoghurt for a couple of hours, then whipping with a hand blender to help give a creamy texture. This can be done just the once, or repeated a couple more times if you desire it extra creamy. Freezing time will depend on the size and depth of your tray – thinner and wider will be faster, smaller and deeper will take longer. So if your making it the same day to eat as a desert that evening, its best to spread out onto a wide and thin tray. This way your yoghurt should be ready in 4 – 6 hours and will be the perfect texture.
Once left overnight the yoghurt will freeze solid,therefore before eating needs to sit at room temperate and soften to be served. You could also put it in the microwave briefly for quicker results. One tip is to add some tablespoons of vodka or gin to your original mixture to prevent the yoghurt freezing solid. Its up to you which method to take, but the end results will all be the same; satisfying nutty frozen yoghurt with hints of fruit and a happy mind and body after.
Pistachio and Cranberry Frozen Yoghurt
3 and 1/2 cups Greek yoghurt
1/2 cup semi-skimmed milk
1/2 cup honey
150g pistachio nuts, shelled
100g dried cranberries
2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Reserve 1/4 of the pistachio nuts and finely grind the rest in a food processor (the reaming nuts can be chopped finely and used for garnish).
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat add the milk and ground pistachio, heat until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from stove and cool until room temperature.
3. Whisk yoghurt, honey, pistachio milk and lemon juice together. Pour into a container, cover with cling film and freeze for 2 hours.
4. Meanwhile, place dried cranberries in a small bowl , pour over enough boiling water so cranberries are submerged and cover. The fruit will puff up and become soft. When ready drain half the liquid and blend water and fruit until smooth. Set aside.
5. After 2 hours remove yogurt mix from freezer. At this stage it should be firm at the edges and semi-soft in the middle. Beat with a hand blender or electric mixer as this will help make it creamy. Stir in cranberry mixture, cover and return to freezer.
6. Yoghurt is ready when frozen through. Serve with additional chopped pistachios for garnish.
*Can also be done in an ice cream maker for faster results.