Recipe: Pork Meatballs and Lemongrass Soup with Pickles
Quick and delicious soup with SouthEast Asian flavours of lemon grass, coriander, basil and chilli and crunchy pickles.
Pork Meatballs and Lemongrass Soup with Pickles
500g pork mince
3 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 red chilli, 1 green chilli
1 tsp minced lemon grass (fresh or pre-minced shop bought)
2 spring onions, minced
2 tbsp chopped coriander (save extra leaves for garnish)
2 tbsp chopped basil (save extra leaves for garnish)
Oil for frying
1 red onion, chopped
2 tsp minced lemongrass (fresh or pre-minced shop bought)
1 garlic clove, cut into 4 pieces
Large knob ginger, chopped fine
Juice of 1 lime
60ml fish sauce
2 tbsp palm sugar or light brown sugar
2 litres of chicken stock
1 medium carrot, sliced into very thin pieces
1 large celery stick, sliced into very thin pieces
1 cup finely shredded cabbage
1 tsp salt
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
- Start by making your pickles. To get the carrot and celery sliced as thinly as possible use a mandolin. If you don’t have one try using a vegetable peeler and slice on a angle. Place carrot, celery and cabbage into a bowl and rub salt through vegetables. Transfer into a plastic bag, squeeze out air and tighten. Now place something very heavy on top of your bag to compress the vegetables. This is how they will pickle, the salt combined with the pressure will draw out all moisture and leave you with fresh crunchy vegetables. This will take 30 minutes.
- For the Meatballs: Place honey, fish sauce and crushed garlic in a saucepan and on a very low heat warm until honey is loose. Next place all the meatball ingredients in a large bowl, along with the honey fish sauce mixture, and with wet hands gently mix ingredients together. Once mixed form the meatballs, being careful not to compress the meat too tight (makes 12 meatballs).
- For the Soup: Place all soup ingredients in a pan, bring to the boil then turn to simmer for 10 minutes.
- While soup is simmering place some oil in a hot frying pan and fry meatballs until nice and brown.
- Drain Soup of its ingredients and return the stock to the pan. Add meatballs and over a medium heat cook through for a few minutes.
- To finish your pickles, remove from the bag and drain off excess liquid. Toss in rice vinegar and sesame oil.
- To serve the soup: Place meatballs in bowls, pour over soup and place a handful of pickles on top. Use extra coriander and basil as garnish.