Chilly Autumn evenings are best spend indoors with something comforting and hearty bubbling away on the stove top, or slowly cooking in the oven. As the evenings draw in, get comfortable and enjoy this warming soup made with leek, roasted garlic and potatoes.
Roasted Garlic, Potato and Leek Soup
Serves 4 – 6
1 large red onion, chopped fine
1 stick celery, sliced fine
3 leeks, roughly chopped and rinsed in water
1 tsp chilli
parsley stalks, finely chopped
1 large garlic bulb or 2 small
6 medium potatoes
1.5 litres chicken stock
150ml crème fraiche
Finely chopped parsley to serve
- Heat oven to 200C.
- Prick potatoes with a fork, rub with oil and salt and place on a baking tray. Roast for approx. 1 hour, or until cooked and fluffy inside.
- Rub Garlic bulb with oil and wrap in tin foil, place on another shelf and roast for 40 minutes.
- In a large pot, fry onion in some olive oil until soft. Add celery, parsley stalks and leeks, cook 15 minutes on a low heat.
- Remove skin from potatoes and roughly chop flesh. Next squeeze garlic from casing and add both ingredients to the onion mixture along with chilli flakes, stock and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. When ready blend soup until smooth and to finish stir in 150ml creme fraiche. Taste and season with salt if needed.
- Serve sprinkled with finely chopped parsley